Material/financial success is great to have. Times are such that many of us are taught to measure happiness in terms of material/financial success. For many the driving force in life is material/financial success. And very easily you forget the essentials of a life of happiness and fulfilment. In the rat race for material/financial success, you kill your integrity, health and beautiful relationships.
We take these, fundamentals for granted. In fact, most of you forget to appreciate the essence of these in your life. Your life can easily be magical and exciting if you learn to say “thank you” to these core elements. As a child, we had the ability to easily and effortlessly appreciate all of these. The nine essentials are simply:
- Taking In Fresh Air – My friend death is only a breath away, so enjoy every breath you take in. For example, yoga is a wonderful lifestyle which promotes the focus of life being your breath although many are lead to believe it is all about the postures.
- Drinking Good Water – You are full of it, I mean water. Approximately 70% of our body is composed of water, so replenish yourself regularly. Check out Dr. Masaru Emoto’s water experiments. Through his experiments, it was discovered the amazing physical effect of words, prayers, music and environment on the crystalline structure of water. So, in simple terms, the water within you can have a positive or negative effect depending on the thoughts you use for yourself.
- Be In The Sunshine – No matter how I feel the sun always makes me feel better, it brings a smile to my face. “Without enough sunlight exposure, a person’s serotonin levels can dip low. Low levels of serotonin are associated with a higher risk of seasonal affective disorder (SAD). SAD is a form of depression that is triggered by changing seasons.” as stated from http://www.healthline.com/.
- Healthy Eating – We all indulge in eating harmful foods which lead to being fat, obese and further more to depression. It is best to stick to non-processed food. The key to healthy eating is simply moderation. Moderation in terms of healthy eating means eating only as much food as your body needs. Be aware, please follow a high content of fruits and vegetables in your consumption of food.
- Regular Exercising – Apart from the fact it assists in maintaining your weight. The benefits are endless such as combats health conditions and diseases, improves mood and boosts energy. In simple terms regular exercising keeps the happy hormones on a high, a natural high, no drugs are required.
- Sleep Well – Many of us numb ourselves through watching too much television, surfing the internet, social media, alcohol or smoking. Unfortunately, these are not relaxation treatments. They are the worst tools to use to relax yourself. Get good sleep on a daily basis to amplify your awareness. It makes you much more alert and active.
- Smiling/laughter – “Your sense of humor is one of the most powerful tools you have to make certain that your daily mood and emotional state support good health.” – Paul E. McGhee, Ph.D. Smiling/laughter simply relaxes the whole body, boosts your immune system, triggers the release of your endorphins and protects your heart. It is a natural medicine to combat anxiety, fear and stress. And it has the ability to improve your mood, enhances your resilience and strengthens your relationships. Smile, please 🙂
- Alone Time – Many of us are filled with terror and are deeply afraid of our own company. Being alone with yourself for many is grim and intimidating that we occupy ourselves with our work, business, hobbies, laptops, mobiles, social media, partner, friends, family and much more. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this but our so called elders forgot to teach us the importance of being alone. Being alone in our silence is where some say we can truly find that peace we seek, as that is when we truly empathetically listen to the unsaid words and feelings that is us. For even, we know all of this but knowing is not being. And the wise man is the one who lives a life of being rather than just knowing. Meditation is a great way to know yourself.
- Relationships – A 75 years research by Harvard (and the research still goes on) showed that Grant and Glueck studies led by George Vaillant and Sheldon Glueck revealed happiness is love or “Good relationships keep us happier and healthier.” The study discovered the most important happiness choice is to invest is in your closest relationship whether it’s a spouse, partner, parent, sibling or friend. 75% of those extremely happy give a top box rating to the importance of success in their intimate relationships.
By simply “giving gratitude” to these essentials uplifts you from your lower self to your higher self. Time to give respect and thanks to what you have, make a difference to yourself. The rat race will only kill all of you from the inside out.
A dear friend of mine always says to me “Money will come and go. But time will never stand still for anyone. Be grateful for what you have.”